New Years Day, 2013

Nothing like a solid trek to start off the year! When we woke up on January 1, the sun was shining and it actually looked unseasonably nice outside. Of course, the temperature revealed the truth — it was freaking cold — but it was still decent enough that I really, really wanted to get out of the house.

And so, we rallied the troops and decided to climb up Sioux Mountain. This involved a zillion layers — thermals, baselayers, fleece, cowls, gloves, hats, socks, boots — and a journey across the frozen, unsheltered lake when the temperature was reading -14C, but -30C with windchill factored in. Brr. The wind bit at our faces but by the time we were nearly there, jumping from snowmobile track to breaking trail in heavy snow to snowmobile track, we were plenty warm.

The cruelest part about climbing a mountain in winter is that, having hiked and sweated and exerted ourselves to get to the base of the snowmobile trail which we intended to climb… it was still all uphill from there. It was slow going as we neared the summit.

Turns out batteries drain really fast at -30, too, so I didn’t get many pictures. But we did eventually make it to the top, single file, slush-covered boots and all. We had a quick Scotch toast (transported in an empty Wisers bottle — keeping it classy) then took a different way down. The downward trip can only be described in the words I heard come out of Matt’s mouth as I imagined him falling directly INTO me, as I was ahead of him — “I’m not deliberately stepping. I’m just recovering from each step.”

No one was squished on this journey, luckily. We walked the tracks back home and I spotted an eerily quiet train making its way toward us, just in time that we could hang out in the ditch rather than being stuck on a bridge. We waited… and waited… and waited, until it finally passed and we could finish our hike. I was pretty excited to get into the truck and sit down, to be honest. That was a long, long walk! But it was great to start our year on a really social, active, fun note.

When we got home I cranked the heat, gave Matt his New Year’s card (same design as last year — that’s what happens when you have one card to choose from at the grocery store on New Year’s Eve! We also had butter chicken for New Year’s Eve supper again, so I guess it’s a tradition now) and enjoyed warm spaghetti while we watched Hunger Games on Netflix.

How did you spend your New Years day?

5 Replies to “New Years Day, 2013”

  1. I unfortunately spent my January 1st in a flurry of packing and driving to get back to Detroit for school on Wednesday. Ew. 😛 Luckily my sister was with me and we had a fun time just the two of us. 🙂

    I love that photo of you guys in the hats!

Leave a Reply